A hearty and delicious soup that brings a new meaning to comfort foods. It’s creamy, flavorful, and comforting. Best of all, it’s even better the next day… if there’s any left.
I think Bacon and Potato Soup has to be one of my favorite soups. I love Yukon Gold potatoes and I really love bacon. Now mix those two ingredients with heavy cream, sour cream, Cheddar Cheese, a little garlic and some onions and you’re half-way to heaven in my culinary world!
- 1 lb Hickory Smoked Bacon, sliced into 1/2″ pieces.
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, diced.
- 1 Large sweet onion, diced.
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour.
- 1 cup heavy cream, warmed.
- 1 cup whole milk, warmed.
cupsorganic chicken stock.
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded.
- 1/2 cup sour cream.
- 1 Tablespoon butter, optional.
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper.
- More cheddar cheese, green onions, sour cream, and chives for garnishing! Garlic bread is a delicious addition for dipping too!!!
- Heat a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cooking until brown and crispy, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- Remove bacon with a slotted spoon onto a separate dish lined with paper towels. Divide bacon into two equal amounts, set aside.
- Reserve about 4 tablespoons of bacon grease in the stockpot and add onions. (Those of you that don’t like using bacon grease, use butter.)
- Using a separate bowl or pan, combine milk and heavy cream and warm on stove or microwave. Do not boil. Set aside.
- Saute onions over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic and stir together for 1 minute before adding flour.
- Blend onions, garlic, and flour together and cook until flour has disappeared and the mixture is slightly browned.
- Add chicken stock to the mixture and combine.
- Add warmed milk and heavy cream to the mixture and combine over medium-high heat. Don’t let it boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low-medium and cover, stirring every few minutes to avoid sticking. Allow
to cook15-20 minutes until potatoes are soft and tender.
- Add cheddar cheese, sour cream, and half the cooked bacon, combine and simmer 5 minutes for all the flavors to meld together.
- Optional, if you want a really thick and creamy soup, CAREFULLY use a hand mixer and beat the mixture for NOT MORE THAN 10 seconds or 10 Turns.
- Taste and season with extra salt and/or pepper if needed.
- Serve hot, topped with remaining bacon, and desired garnishings with warm garlic bread to knock it out of the ballpark!